Tuesday, March 9, 2010

True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle


A few weeks ago Madison came home raving about a book her class had just finished. She ranked it in her top 3 of her favorite books. So before spring break I checked out True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, as one of the books I would read over my week off. It was a quick read, and I did enjoy it.

Charlotte makes her first trip across the Atlantic to meet her family after she finishes the term at her boarding school. Immediately Charlotte is faced with fear and mystery when those charged with carrying her trunk will not even approach the ship, due to its reputation. Once on board she finds the crew less than unfriendly, giving her warning to abandon the voyage and find a different ship to make the crossing. Once she is committed to staying (because the ship has already left port) one crew member gives her a knife an suggests she keeps it close at hand. On board a ship surrounded in mystery and possibly on the verge of mutiny, Charlotte knows not who she should trust for the two month trek across the Atlantic.

Learned? It was fun to read a book suggested by my daughter. She kept asking me where I was and what I thought was going to happen. It was almost like the roles were reversed.

No comments: