Monday, May 2, 2011

Conflicted

Today I woke to the news that America's greatest emeny, Osama bin Laden, was killed, and I feel the complete contrary to what I expected to feel. I expected to feel elated, jubilant, at ease, celebratory, but I don't.

I am so proud of the navy SEALs that accomplished this mission and the countless other soldiers that fought, and even died, in this war on terrorism. I am proud of the intelligence task force of the United States, I am even proud of our president in making the call to initiate the mission. I am so happy, and personally thankful, for the closure that many families and friends are feeling today, those that were and will continue to be impacted by the World Trade Center bombings.

Osama bin Laden was a bad, evil, man whose desire was to kill innocent people out of his own hatred and intolerance. I believe justice, if it can be called that, was served in some form today.

So why do I feel conflicted? Why am I not among those celebrating and cheering his death, and instead feel a heaviness of heart? It makes me feel so unpatriotic, so insensitive to all those that lost their lives due to his plotting.

The only explanation is this... I believe God is sad, I believe that God loved bin Laden, and never gave up on him, I believe that God's heart is grieved by the loss of a child for all of eternity; for I do not believe that bin Laden will be a person we meet in Heaven, and I can't say this disappoints me. I just can't bring my self to rejoice in anyone's complete and eternal separation from God, that is what saddens me today.

In closing, a friend posted this quote on fb, and it gave words to what my heart is feeling...

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”
MLK Jr.


Learned: "how I respond to the death of my enemies says as much about me as it does about my enemies"

edit: the quote in the original post was a partial false quote, that included the beginning "I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy." This was not said by MLK, but the remaining quote is his, taken from a 1957 sermon he gave on loving your enemies. This does not change the sentiment of my post as it is the true part of that quote that resonated with me the most.

2 comments:

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

Thanks for so eloquently expressing your feelings and many others in the process. God has commanded us to love our enemies. That doesn't mean we choose their path, but it is only for God to stand in judgment. I don't want to give so much power to evil by celebrating his death. I reflect on the meaning of all of it, and stand more convicted of living my life in a way that allows me to stand spotless before God. Love you!

Unknown said...

I too was troubled by the celebration of his death as if we had wiped out evil. I agree with the words you wrote and also MLK. I have been praying diligently for all that is ahead knowing we have killed a bee with a nest full and ready to take his place.I have to keep in mind the scripture in Daniel 2:21 "He controls the course of the world events, He removes kings and sets up others..."to remember to trust God who IS in control.