Wednesday, August 12, 2009

First Day of School

Today marked the end of a very enjoyable summer with my kiddos, it went by so quickly because we were so busy the whole time!

Today also marked Maddox's first day of preschool. We had registered about a month ago, visited during hours so he could meet kids and teachers, and talked about it all the time. He was so excited to start school!

Last night he took a bath and when he got out of the tub he asked if he could shave, so he shaved with his Cars shaving foam and razor. Next we scrubbed our pearly whites and headed to bed. We read Spot Goes To School, a great lift the flap story about a dogs first day of school. We talked about how excited spot was to go to school and all the fun things he got to do, and what Maddox was looking forward to doing on his first day. It was so sweet!

So this morning he hopped out of bed and was ready to go to school, complete with his miniature backpack for his lunch. These pictures are blury because I could hardly get him to hold still for his excitement was bubbling out of every pore and fiber of his body!



When we arrived (it was early) he was the only kid there so he got his pick of toys and full attention from the teacher. They had his little cubby with his name on it all ready for him too! He felt so special as evident by his huge smile! He gave his sister and I both a hug and literally pushed us out the door!

He obviously was ready for this, I on the other hand wasn't and about fell apart in the store last night while buying him a lunch box, and cried myself to school. Most of the day I found myself wondering if he was ok, and checking my phone for calls from the school... none came and after my meetings were finished, I hurried over to pick him up.

I found him immersed in play outside with the other kids, I even got to talk to the other teachers about how he did. They said that he was wonderful, and they would have never known that today was his first day EVER in preschool. He lined up when told, laid down and took a nap at nap time, and followed directions. Finally I interrupted his play and he was at least happy to see me and left with out a fuss.

In typical fashion I asked him lots of questions and found out that his favorite part of the day was when he took a nap, he had fun playing with all the friends (but he doesn't know any of their names). He asked me when he got to go back to school, and I said on Friday, and he fussed saying "I want to go to school EVERYDAY!"

I have to say that I am so happy that this is the outcome, I was a bit concerned after the horrible swimming lessons situation, but take comfort that he can play with other kids, be polite and follow directions, and make it multiple hours with out his momma or grandmas.

Learned: I knew Maddox was ready to go to school, I just never imagined that it would be so easy to get him to go... and enjoy it!

1 comment:

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

Good job Mama! That is one of the hardest things we ever have to do...let go. I think we have to do it several times throughout their lives. And I am not sure it gets any easier. Maddox is a great kid, and I am sure he will exceed your hopes and expectations.