Thursday, October 14, 2010

Date Night...Night Hike

When I think of the most romantic times I spend with Brian rarely are they the ones depicted on TV or Movies. The whole "Flowers, rose petals, by candle light" thing is just not my cup of tea...nor Brian's (thankfully). My favorite romantic memories are set with backdrops of ski slopes, mountains, lakes, hiking trails, and cabins in the woods. We love being outside, but more importantly we love being outside together.

Last weekend we had a last minute date night, and as we sat looking through the movies that were showing and discussing where we wanted to eat, it felt way to boring. I mean anytime we have a date night we go to dinner and a movie (don't get me wrong I enjoy those times too...), but with no movie out that we both really wanted to see, it just seemed so mundane.

With this unseasonably warm October weather we have been having, I thought it would be fun to go on a night hike. So we packed a bag with jackets, head lamps, my favorite wine, and some cheese and crackers and headed out to Independence Monument. The sun set really quickly and we found a perch on the sandstone to enjoy our treats and visit. It was such a great time just enjoying the outdoors together.

The only thing that would have made it better would have been no clouds in the sky, and not seeing the mountain lion email Brian had sent me earlier in the week. It creeped me out enough to cut the evening short and head home... no sense risking a Mt.Lion attack!
As we rounded the corner and got our first glimpse of Independence Monument there was barely enough light to take a picture.

I just liked the wine droplets in this picture.

We were laughing so hard for this picture because we had just taken one of us and the flash blinded and shocked us so much that we looked hilarious in it.

Notice the wine in the classes, we thought we had a pretty flat surface, but it wasn't... Amazingly we only had one spill, and there was plenty of wine for a refill.

Learned: There is a reason we are married to the people we are, it is nice to get back to what brought you together in the first place.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awe... that's sweet! And I want to see the silly picture!!