Tuesday, December 15, 2009

FINALLY!



Yes, this was me yesterday. (No, not an actual picture of me). But I got to go run! I escaped the sick ward that was my home for just a few moments to run. I have not run since a few days after the Moab Other-Half Marathon, because I have been nursing an injured knee. (It has been over 6 weeks!)

Well yesterday the sun was shining, the snow was sparkling, and the roads were clear enough that I thought I would give it another go and see how it felt before resigning myself to the orthopedic surgeon.

I decided that no matter how good I felt I would only go one mile, so I didn't over do it. I also decided to take Ranger with me since it was cold and a short distance, maybe I could tire him out so he will quit escaping, maybe -just maybe- I will keep running with him while I gradually increase my distance and he can go on runs with me...maybe....

At the half way point I turned around with an acute awareness of my knee, but not really a sensation of pain. When I got home it felt a little stiff but that could have been from my first time running in a while. The good thing is that I could feel exactly where it hurt since there was no swelling or pain that extended beyond an injury site. I really think that it is my ITband, so I did a few stretches that are supposed to help that area. I will keep stretching and running short distances in hopes that I can work back up to my long distances again. If it is not the ITband, I am afraid that I might have a tear in my medial meniscus which of course would require surgery. BUT I refuse to see the glass half empty on this one.

I was amazed that not only did I feel good physically, but also emotionally! My soul felt happy. I knew that not being able to run was a contributing factor to the storm cloud that has been hanging around me, but didn't realize the extent.

It feels so good to run again, I am almost happier at being able to run a mile than I was at finishing my half marathon! Though when I say that it is hard not to get a bit discouraged at knowing I was running 13 miles once a week (and 3-5 miles between) and now only running one... Alas I will focus on my progress rather than my regress... I AM RUNNING!

Learned? I need a physical outlet, running is my meditation, my time to recenter myself, to let things go, to prepare, to just be...

1 comment:

Danny,Vycci and Kids said...

Glad to hear you got to get out! I know how much that can help the sanity. And I don't know about you, but this time of year seriously makes me question mine. Thinking about you lots and missing you even more. And feeling like the nice weather for traveling is a long time away!! Here's to good friends all year long! Love ya!