Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day 2008

Today is Earth Day, and I decided that I would spend some time with my students discussing what exactly that means. I was amazed at the curiosity, knowledge, and excitement they had to offer on the subject. We discussed the 3 R's of Earth day, Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Then we talked about examples of each. They had great ideas, and I shared some small things I do to keep the Earth healthy. For example I take my own cloth bags to the grocery store, we changed all our light bulbs to more energy efficient types, installing energy efficient fixtures in the kitchen and bath, and I have done a few loads with my friend Allison's environmentally friendly laundry soap. The students were so excited about some of these these that they now want to make/decorate their own grocery bags, make a class batch of the laundry soap (which will be a good lesson in ratios and fractions), and they want to recycle their soda cans. We are planning on using the money from the soda can recycling for their end of the year graduation. Then we ended our day by picking up trash in our field. Several students noticed how much trash was on the other side of the fence, and want to continue the trash pick up there tomorrow! It was so exctiting to see these students get involved with such an important issue.

What I learned today can be summed up in the words of Anne Frank "How wonderful it is that nobody need to wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."

No comments: